Western union themselves don’t cash checks but use the Check Into Cash program to offer this service.
Because Western Union provides a wide range of money-related services to their clients, many people have asked whether the organization is willing to cash checks as well. While Western Union doesn’t offer actual check cashing services, the company has partnered with the “Check Into Cash” program to provide this service for its customers.
How the Check Into Cash Program Works
When working with the Check Into Cash program, keep in mind that it is usually available in grocery stores, convenience stores, and some standalone locations.
Before you are allowed to cash a check through this program, you will need to do the following:
- Have a valid photo ID with you
- Ensure that you endorse your check by signing it on the back
- Ensure that the check you want to cash is valid and most importantly, not postdated
- Have your Social Security Number or Taxpayer Identification Number with you
- Be willing to provide any additional personal information such as your date of birth, full name and current physical address
- Be over the age of 18 years old
- Have the check with you that you’d like to cash
Fees and Regulations when Using the Check Into Cash Program
When cashing a check with Western Union through the Check Into Cash program, keep in mind that you’ll be required to pay processing fees for obtaining your cash. These can vary between 1% and 5% of the value of the check that’s being cashed.
You will also have to purchase a preferred check-cashing card, which will cost $2 to process.
Which Checks Can Be Cashed?
The following types of checks can be cashed through this program:
- Payroll checks
- Government checks
- Western Union money orders
- Cashier’s checks
- Insurance checks
- Two-party checks
Unfortunately, no personal checks can be cashed though this program with Western Union. These can however be processed at a number of grocery stores around the country, provided that you present a valid form of photo ID at the time of processing the transaction.
Before attempting to cash any type of check through the Check Into Cash program that is being used by Western Union, you’ll need to ensure that your check is valid and has not been altered in any way. The check or Western Union money order will also need to be made out to you.